When marketing a business with a book, the most important thing to remember is that the book needs to sell the author’s services. It does not help to wander off the subject one is trying to explain. There are certain items that need to be included when writing a book about one’s services.
1. Have a good table of contents. This is important because it is generally the first thing the reader will pay attention to after looking over the front and back covers of the book. The table of contents almost always relies on having made a good outline. When the potential buyer of a book looks at the table of contents, she or he will be interested if there are attention-grabbing chapter titles.
2. Give an introduction. One will need to explain who one is and where one has gained all this knowledge one is getting ready to impart. One should inform the reader what they can gain from reading further. One can also use the introduction to a business book to pique the reader’s interest by asking some questions.
3. Show one’s expertise. One’s main purpose in writing the book is to market one’s services. However, that is not possible if one does not show one’s knowledge on the subject. Be sure to write forcefully, with a sense of authority. This commands respect. One’s expertise will shine through if one systematically explains concepts learned in business.
4. Tell personal stories. Telling about one’s own experiences in one’s business will help others identify with one on a level that no amount of explanations can do. The author will seem friendlier. When one is marketing a business with a book, one of the goals is to bring in clients. One will succeed in that better if one seems approachable.
5. Include a little humor in the book. One will have little effect in marketing a business with a book if one is dead serious all through the book. There are very few subjects that cannot benefit from adding a humorous story or insight
6. Confess small failures. Even wrong decisions can move one forward by showing what not to do. Sharing this information with readers will help them to learn from one’s mistakes. It even makes one seem more human. One must remember that it is okay to share struggles but not so good to present oneself as a failure.
7. Give advice for clients. After all, the target audience for the book is those who might use one’s services. By giving the readers the value of one’s professional advice, one wins them over. They will take the advice to heart. When they want to go for a service to someone they trust the author will be first on their list.
Writing a book about business services need not be a daunting task. It takes some planning and thought as to what to include in the manuscript. If one still feels uncomfortable writing a book about business, there is always help available. With a little work, one can sell the book successfully.