Whether you are a new artist just Trying to Break Into the art market or Whether you are an experienced professional artist, learning art marketing is paramount to the success of your art business. Understanding art marketing and how to market your art Will give you a huge Competitive advantage, When competing against other artists and it Will Help you sell your art.
So what are some of the art marketing techniques and art Marketing Strategies That You Can use, if you are just starting a career as an artist or Whether you are an experienced artist?
1. Find new Clients by starting with the people you know.
a. Make a list of everyone you know and start simple
b. Write Their name, address, phone number, and email address Into an excel spreadsheet
c. When marketing your art, contact Each potential client at least three separate doorways to let Them know about your artwork.
i. Ex: email, Facebook, post card
ii. Ex: Letter in the mail, invitation to your show, email
iii. Ex: Letter in the mail, email, phone call
2. These Network with people and ask themself for referrin of other people thatthey believe would be Interested in art you. Get as much contact information as you Can Such as name, phone number, email address, and snail mail address.
3. If you INVITED themself to you art show, after the show, Followup with your current Clients by king than everyone That came to the show or anyone WHO Purchased from you with a thank you card, make sure That you include a business card also. For the Clients That Purchased from you, it is a great idea to include a free gift as a thank you for purchasing from you.
4. You also want to Followup with the referrin That your Clients gave you. You do this the Same way as you did Previously with your Clients. Contact Them 3 Separate Ways with 3 Different media. For example:
a. 1st – sent themself an Introductory letter explaining Who You Are, and WHO referred you and include some samples of your work. The samples Can be as simple as photos, Brochures or Even a catalog of your art.
b. Send email- and inviting Them to your blog post, where They Can Learn more about you.
c. Send an invitation and then Personally call themself and invite Them to your next art show.
5. When marketing your art, it is Important to continue to repeat the first four steps over and over again to grow your database of prospects and of Clients. Once somebody gives you a referral, add themself to your spreadsheet or database and stay in contact with Them. And remember to always ask for referrin When marketing art.
6. Now another Important aspect of art marketing is managing your database of Clients and prospects by segmenting your database so you do not burn your list out.
a. Burning out your list is When your Clients become unresponsive to you, Because you have contacted Them to Many times, or made to Many Offers That were not Related to the theme. This is more of an advanced topic, so do not worry about this too much, if you are just starting your career as an artist.
7. Finally, it is Important When marketing art to have a means of selling art, When contacting prospects and Clients. This Can be done through a website, over the phone, in person over lunch or dinner, through email, direct mail, Brochures, and cata logs or Any Other means of you asking for the sale and then being expandable to process the payment.